After two failed attempts at setting up a baby monitor in our son’s nursery, I received an email asking if I would like to test out a new innovative baby monitor on the market . Of course I thought the timing was impeccable, but when I found out that this monitor wasn’t a camera monitor, I was a bit hesitant. The Sproutling Baby Monitor is actually an ankle monitor, and seeing that my son is 9 months old, I was almost certain that he would try to take it off. Well, to my surprise, despite the fact that he will pull off shoes and socks as if performed in a choreographed routine, he has yet to even attempt to tamper with the ankle monitor. So if comfort is a concern, I would say that it checked the box right away. Now, if you’re like me and you have a big baby, not to worry! They thought this through, by providing two different ankle strap sizes to choose from, a small and a medium band.
In terms of set up, this was definitely the easiest set up of all monitors that we have tried. The directions are so simply that they are actually written on the packaging rather than a lengthy booklet that no parent has time to read. In three easy steps, you are all set!
If you were like me, and you feel like a camera is an essential component for a baby monitor. Take a moment, and ask yourself what you truly desire to learn from monitoring your baby. The creators of this baby monitor answered one of the main concerns of most parents, being :
Is my baby awake or asleep ? ( Saves you all the tip toeing when entering your baby’s room if you know what to expect!)
Now let’s get into the app details, which includes a cute little baby icon that represents your baby!
*screenshot from my baby’s naptime, the face smiles when your baby is awake ( it even yawns! LOL so cute right?)
When you download the Sproutling App, there are three easy components to utilize.
1. Clock & Heart – The circle represents a clock and the heart pulsates to the actual heart rate of your baby ( pretty cool huh? ). The heart also moves around the clock to indicate the current time.
2. Smart Control – You can control the smart charger’s functions from your fingertips! The smart charger doubles as a night light, allowing you to select the colour of the light and also the brightness/dimness ( I repeat, you don’t need to be in the room! you simply control via your phone ). My personal favourite feature is the music that you can also play from the smart charger. There are several classic songs to choose from but also white noise, gentle rain showers, heartbeat sounds etc. and you can control the volume as well, simply via the app. This feature has worked wonders for me. I like to play the music when my baby is falling asleep and when he has fallen asleep, I simply lower the volume or turn it off completely, without having to enter the room.
3. Timeline – This is a virtual sleep log for your baby! After wearing the ankle monitor for a week, you actually receive predicted wake times. I learned that my baby tends to wake up at 4 am on average to do a bit of “stirring” and then falls asleep again until approx. 7 am. This is a great way to understand why your baby may be happier some mornings and a bit cranky on other mornings. Not only can you see how well your baby slept via the timeline, the longer you use the monitor, the closer your monitor gets to predicting the exact wake up times of your baby ( this will blow your mind!). If you’re a new mom, dying to go in the shower but you’re afraid your baby may wake up in your absence…this finally solves that worry! You can also set a timer when your baby takes naps in the day and you can log those naps as well, which is super helpful when you’re trying to sleep train or establish a sleep routine with your baby.
*This is actually from my baby, so fascinating to read these in the morning! Sproutling also adds tips to answer FAQ
The longer you use your Sproutling, the more accurate it will get with predictions each time your baby falls asleep.
There are some things that will effect the accuracy of your predictions and results that you must keep in mind :
- Your baby should sleep in the same room each time they go to sleep
- Your Smart Charger should be within 15 feet of your baby’s crib
- Your baby’s bed should be flat and stationary
- Your baby should also sleep independently
- Your wearable should be high onto the back of your baby’s ankle, directly against the skin
- Your baby should be sleeping on their back
I can say that I experienced the accuracy of my “awake” and “asleep” prediction being off a couple times over the span of 2 weeks because at least one of these factors were not in play ( primarily the placement of the ankle bracelet ). They suggest placing the ankle bracelet on at the first signs of sleepiness ( baby yawning, rubbing eyes etc. ) and for me, I have a bit of a kicker and those nights when I didn’t place the bracelet on accurately, it was likely because I should have waited until he was a bit less active to put it on correctly.
Something that also peaked my interest, is that the Sproutling is still in the process of receiving new development and features, and you will not have to feel like you missed out because a newer model will reap the benefits later down the line. Sproutling will automatically apply their updates via the app.
Now the price tag! This Smart Monitor is $250 which is on the higher spectrum for baby monitors. This is to be considered if you would want to also get a camera monitor just for the novelty of watching your baby sleep. My thoughts on the price? Initially I would say this sounds steep, but after experiencing 2 different baby monitors priced at over $100 break within the set up stage alone, my thoughts have changed. Considering that you have a nightlight, sound machine, and a virtual sleep expert in the palm of your hands, you’re getting a few baby essentials in one product. So if you’re looking for something to add to your baby registry that you’d love family/friends to chip in on, this may just be an awesome product to consider.
Would I recommend this product? Absolutely! I really enjoy seeing the sleep charts, especially since we are 2 months deep into sleep training. It feels great seeing that my baby actually sleeps in solid stretches. My only regret is not having this during those early newborn stages when sleep is a total blur! It would have been amazing to see just how much he slept. We were all in the new parent, zombie stage, I remember totally guessing when people would ask me how long my baby slept the night prior! *Lol
Thank you to Fisher Price for the opportunity to review The Sproutling Baby Monitor!
Available here : CLICK TO SHOP SPROUTLING